Translation Results Window and Fuzzy Matches

happy sad sad

I have noticed that I seem to have more unhappy than happy faces in my blog entries. That doesn’t mean that I would generally be more unhappy with Trados Studio — quite the contrary actually. I guess, I played most of my happy face cards during the first few hands and now I’m left reporting these relatively minor annoyances that surface every so often during my translation work. Really, I like the top 5 features I listed earlier so much that an occasional annoyance here and there isn’t really that bad. Of course, I would like to see a good program getting even better since there seems to be plenty of room for improvement.

Having said that, here’s my complaint of the day. Or there are actually two related problems. First of all, I don’t like the way fuzzy matches are indicated using the “track changes” type of markings instead of the highlighting used in Trados 2007. This has bothered me from the beginning but I was hoping that I would get used to it. Maybe I will one day, but it hasn’t happened yet. Seemingly, I’m not the only one with this problem — the “return of the highlighting” is one of the most requested features on ideas.sdl.com. Trying to figure out the fuzzy match differences, when they are marked like this, is somehow more difficult and takes more time, and I find myself often just figuring out the differences by comparing the new source segment with the fuzzy target segment without even looking at the Translation Results Window. You can modify to certain extent how these markings are applied but these customization options don’t include highlighting.

The other reason why I have started to overlook the Translation Results Window is the way fuzzy matches seem to be calculated. I have received absolutely weird fuzzy matches. Here are some examples (click the images to see them better):

When using the previous versions of Trados, I lowered my fuzzy match setting down to 50% or 60% because it often brought me good partial matches that would have otherwise been overlooked. I guess, with Studio it’s better to keep this setting closer to the default 70%.